Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Makeover Time! ~ Cabinets

Today I have chosen to post an ongoing project as I can't wait until it is finished...literally!  This kitchen is so wonderful, I love it, it has character.  I like how the previous owners were creative in making the flat 1959 cabinetry have some dimension.  I don't however, like what they used.  It is too bulky for one...and it isn't is what I fondly call 'sawdust' board.  What happens when that wonderful pressed wood dust gets damp?  It a kitchen I actually cook in...that just isn't going to work.  We also had a wonderful old Jenn-Air range, which in many ways, I wanted to keep, but realistically it was better to replace it with a newer range.  Last on our list of changes is the counter top...obviously this will be with us for some time, but the small section near the range did get a makeover as the one that was there previously wasn't attached, was too short and too Carl made a new top that is just right for the tight space and it looks real nice. 

This is what the kitchen looked like when we moved in.
Notice the small counter near the range.
Here is a close up of the cabinets and the water...steam in this case...damage.

I found The Lettered Cottage, Tudor Style Before & After online and decided that is what I wanted to do.  If you read how they did it, they used nice cabinet quality ply-wood, we opted for thin hardwood boards as it would be easier even though it is more expensive that ripping ply-wood.  After stripping all the paint off, I sanded it down and used Kilz primer/sealer on them before painting them.  We have a long way to go yet, the bottom cabinets are all painted, the drawers have all their 'pulls' but the cabinets are still waiting for their knobs.  We have all of the top cabinets to do still but, as it is gardening season will have to wait a bit.

For the drawers I striped all the paint layers off, sanded them really well and put a coat of primer on them before painting...this is the bathroom drawer I am working on here...
Carl had a great time taking all the added 'wood' off...apparently...the cabinets used to be green.  I am in the process of stripping the door that is's on the counter...right ...there...

This is how far we are on this project, it will be many more months until it is finished as we need to get moving on the garden. 
Here is the cabinet top Carl made, it is a small area that doesn't have a lot of direct use, so we just used pine, the rest of the counters will possibly be copper...we shall see.  I have been sealing this counter weekly with Linseed oil.


KathyB. said...

I like your new kitchen and like it even better with your improvements. Yes, this time of the year , whatever did not get done inside has to wait until the late fall when gardening and outdoor things need to be done. Looks very , very good and I see Carl is talented in wood work. You are having so much fun with creativity in your new HOME ! I look forward to seeing how things progress.

KathyB. said...

I meant, "when gardening and outdoor things are DONE for the year ". Sheesh, I should probably get some sleep . :)